Google is constantly introducing new features and ad types to keep up with the ever-evolving forms of technology we use on a daily basis. One of the most recent additions to Google AdWords was click-to-call ads, and they’ve created a lot of buzz about who should be using them and why. Let’s cover the ins and outs of this new option to help you make the best decision about setting up your next advertising campaign.
What does Click-to-Call Mean?
Click-to-call (CTC) is a type of ad within Google AdWords. These ads will show on mobile devices when users search Google for relevant keywords. Clicking on a company’s CTC ad will connect searchers to the business by phone, rather than sending them to its website. These ads cannot be shown on desktop computers, since most aren’t set up to make phone calls.
What are the Pros?
- These ads don’t require your website to have a landing page for the product or service you’re promoting, which is a large component of the quality score AdWords uses in determining ad position. So even if you have a less-than-stellar website, CTC ads allow you to use AdWords without risking a low score.
- To state the obvious, these ads literally make a (phone) connection between your business and potential customers who were searching for your services. Who doesn’t want that?
- Just like other ads, you bid on the keywords that you want your ads show up for, so you aren’t wasting money on irrelevant searches.
What are the Cons?
- Click-to-call ads tend to cost more since they result in a call rather than a click to the website. Also, because mobile only has two ad positions available, you have to bid more to achieve those high positions or your ads may not show at all. You have to be willing to increase spending when running CTC ads.
- You’ll need to use a tracking phone number in order for Google to track the conversions of these ads. Google will choose a phone number with your area code to show in the ad, which will forward to your business line. These tracking numbers expire after about 30 to 60 days, so some business owners are uncomfortable with using them in case a potential customer tries to call that number again.
Overall, CTC ads can be an excellent tool to generate more phone calls, but business owners have to be prepared for the cost per click to increase. While the number of clicks you receive from traditional ads may drop when switching to click-to-call, the quality of those leads should increase. Rather than hoping your website conveys all the information the client is looking for, you now have the ability to answer their questions directly and make the sale.